Sony Ericsson Announces M600 UMTS Phone
Sony Ericsson today announces the M600 phone and messaging device. This is a fully-specified email tool and mobile phone rolled into a stylish, slim device featuring a touchscreen and handwriting recognition. M600 is the second Symbian OS 9.1 and UIQ 3.0 enabled phone in the Sony Ericsson portfolio offering users customisation opportunities and the ability to buy personal productivity and other applications from the Sony Ericsson Application Shop.
The software platform and user interface, make multitasking – for example browsing the Internet whilst making a voice call - a reality, the press release states. M600 also takes full advantage of its UMTS capabilities with fast and easy email handling (even with large attachments) and high-bandwidth multimedia downloads. Document handling offers and PowerPoint, Word and Excel editors and an Adobe PDF viewer.
The ergonomic design of the M600 makes it easy to operate with one hand or two and gives versatile options on how to perform messaging tasks. For example the large dual function keyboard makes for easy messaging input and is also the keypad for number buttons. Reading emails and viewing high quality video and graphics content is made easy with the 3-way Jog Dial and a 2.6" QVGA screen, capable of handling 262K colours.
The range of standard and proprietary push email applications enabled for operator customisation are being developed in conjunction with a number of partners. These are:
Besides, McAfee anti-virus & firewall software for cellular applications and Pointsec encryption are offered as Try & Buy packages and Certicom VPN client for secure access to corporate networks is offered free of charge.
- Ericsson Mobile Office (EMO) (Try and Buy)
- iAnywhere OneBridge
- Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync
- RIM - BlackBerry Connect
- Standard Email - IMAP IDLE working on all standards compliant servers
The M600 has 80MB of onboard memory for storing email attachments and multimedia content. An additional 64MB Memory Stick Micro (M2), which is a new ultra-small media, is provided in the box. The M600 is the first Sony Ericsson product to feature this new memory card.
The M600 is available in Granite Black and Crystal White and starts shipping during Q2 2006. The different regional variations of the M600 are:
- M600i - Dual Mode UMTS 2100 MHz, GPRS 900/1800/1900MHz for Europe, Middle East, Africa, Asia Pacific and the Americas
- M600c - Dual Mode UMTS 2100 MHz, GPRS 900/1800/1900MHz for Mainland China (Launch for mainland China dependent on availability of 3G services.)
- M600 will be available in 4 hardware keyboard variants: QWERTY, QWERTZ, AZERTY and Russian
And M600's features at a glance:
- QVGA 2.6" display, 262K colours TFT
- Video playback 30 fps
- Online picture sharing
- SMS, MMS, POP3 e-mail, push e-mail
- Dual function keyboard, typing corrections and word completion, handwriting Recognition
- Media Player (support for MP3, AAC, ACC+, E-AAC+ and m4a), OMA DRM phase 1
- Streaming audio/video
- Audio out over system connector
- 3D games, Java MIDP 2.0
- 40 Polyphonic ring tones
- Dual Mode UMTS 2100 MHz, triple band GPRS 900/1800/1900MHz
- Symbian 9.1 and UIQ 3.0
- Stereo Bluetooth support
- Infrared SIR
- 80 MB internal user memory, expandable Memory Stick Micro (M2)
- Full HTML browser Opera 8, RSS feeds
- PC Tools & Software
- PC Synchronization
- USB 2.0 Mass storage, Full speed (12 Mbps), USB charging
- External antenna connector
- Stereo Portable Handsfree and USB cable in box
- VPN clients (for free)
- Encryption (try & buy apps)
- Virus Protection/Firewall ( try & buy apps)
- Onboard application shop
- PowerPoint, Word and Excel editors, Adobe PDF viewer
Source: Sony Ericsson
Write a comment below. No registration needed!