PRO/Wireless 2200BG: a new Intel Centrino component supporting IEEE 802.11b/g
Following its own roadmap, Intel introduced a new component for its Centrino platform Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG adapter supporting 802.11b and higher-speed 802.11g.
Being "Wi-Fi CERTIFIED" already, Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG supports Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) and can be software upgraded to the new security standards, e.g. implied by 802.11i. Designed as a usual mini-PCI card, Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG bases on Intel´s proprietary comm and RF chips. The adapter is bundled with PROSet for Wireless software simplifying network settings and traffic management.
Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG brief specs:
- Model: WM3B2200BG
- Size: 44.60x59.75x4.9mm
- Weight: 12g
- Antenna: dual integrated
- Interface: MiniPCI Type III
- LEDs: Link, Activity
- Standards: IEEE 802.11b/g
- Range: 2.4GHz
- Throughput: up to 54 Mbps IEEE 802.11g or up to 11Mbps 802.11b
- Encryption: 802.1X, WEP, WPA, upgradable to AES
- Intel Wireless Coexistence System for Bluetooth compatibility
- Wireless Multimedia Extensions (WME)
- OS: Microsoft Windows XP (Professional, Home, Tablet), 2000
- WHQL certified
The first Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG adapters are expected in Centrino-based notebooks in Q1 2004. Within these weeks such models should be presented by Japanese Fujitsu, Matsushita Electric, NEC, Sony, and Toshiba. In over 10,000-unit quantities Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG adapter will cost $25.
Write a comment below. No registration needed!