XGI introduces new Volari graphics trademark and new 3D chips
Today XGI Technology (eXtreme Graphics Innovation), the daughter company of SiS with rights to all its graphics expertise, held a press conference to officially announce the first generation of graphics products under own brand.
XGI´s Volari trademark will be used on a DX9 discrete GPU family. The top-end Volari Duo V8 Ultra and Volari Duo V5 Ultra would be high-performance dual-processor solutions. Besides, the family will include high-end Volari V8 Ultra and Volari V8; mainstream Volari V5 Ultra and Volari V5; entry-level Volari V3.
New desktop GPUs are compatible with DirectX9 and OpenGL 1.4, higher-end solutions support both DDR DRAM, and DDR2 DRAM. The dual-processor design of XGI Volari V5 and Volari V8 is implemented with the help of the new BitFluent Achitecture.
XGI is going to participate in the mobile graphics market as well. The Volari family includes three mobile DirectX9 GPUs Volari XP5m32 for light models, Volari XP5m64 for performance models and Volari XP5 for other segments.
Finally, below are the features of family´s most powerful Volari Duo V8 Ultra GPU:
- Supports 32-bit PCI 2.2, AGP2.0 / AGP3.0
- Hardware recognition of AGP1.0, AGP2.0 or AGP3.0
- Dual 8-pipeline 256-bit 3D engine
- 4 x vertex shader blocks fully supporting Direct3D 9.0 Vertex Shader ver. 2.0
- 8 x pixel shader blocks fully supporting Direct3D 9.0 Pixel Shader ver. 2.0
- 16 x pixel rendering pipelines
- Supports Bump Mapping, Mipmapped Cubic Mapping 2X/4X FSAA
- 2D engine (hardware instruction sorting; Direct Draw accelerator; GDI 2000 hardware accelerator; TV-out on XV301 chip; PAL and NTSC support; composite, S-Video and RGB connectors; Macrovision Copy Protection Process Rev. 7.1.L1; HDTV 480i/480p/1080i/720p YpbPr support; TMDS transceiver)
- MPEG-2 decoder (MPEG-2 MP@ML; up to 20Mbps; VCD, DVD and HDTV hardware decoding)
- Programmable 24-bit RAMDAC, up to 400MHz
- VIP interface
- Supports 32Ká/64Ká/128 Kb ROM
- 1140-pin FC-BGA package
- 37.5x37.5mm dimensions
It´s just impossible to describe all the novelties in a single news, so below is a spec table for all of them together.
I´d also like to note that some names resemble codenames of previous solutions (e.g. Volari XP5m32 or XV301), however some are really new for 3D graphics.
For the first time new GPUs will be showcased at Computex 2003. I guess some prototypes would be available by that time as well.
Write a comment below. No registration needed!