Gigabyte GTX260/275, HD 5870
The considerable trio.
November 12, 2009
Performance in games
- Intel Core I7 CPU 920 (2,667 MHz) CPU
- ASUS P6T Deluxe motherboard with the Intel X58 chipset
- 3GB DDR3 SDRAM Corsair 1066MHz
- WD Caviar SE WD1600JD 160GB SATA hard drive
- Tagan TG900-BZ 900W PSU
- Windows Vista 32-bit SP1, DirectX 10.1
- Dell 3007WFP 30-inch monitor
- ATI CATALYST 9.9; NVIDIA 191.00
- VSync disabled
- Far Cry 2 (Ubisoft) -- DirectX 10.0, shaders 4.0 (HDR), built-in benchmarking utility (the Middle level), maximum settings.
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky 1.509 (GSC Game World/THQ) -- DirectX 10.0, maximum quality settings (dynamic lighting enabled); demo, copy files to the savegames folder, run the game, load level 'ixbt4', and type "demo_play ixbt4" in the console. Maximum test settings (dynamic lights enabled). This game does not support AA.
- 3DMark Vantage 1.02 (FutureMark) -- DirectX 10.0, shaders 4.0, multitexturing, 'Extreme' settings.
- CRYSIS 1.2 (Crytek/EA), DirectX 10.0, shaders 4.0, 'Very High' settings, 'Rescue' level; batch file, e-mail us to obtain the timedemo.
- CRYSIS Warhead (Crytek/EA), DirectX 10.0, shaders 4.0, 'Very High' settings, 'Cargo' level; batch file, e-mail us to obtain the timedemo.
- Company Of Heroes Opposing Fronts (Relic Entertainment/THQ) -- DirectX 10.0, shaders 4.0, maximum settings; batch file, run the game, invoke graphics settings and click the test button.
- World In Conflict 1.007 (Massive Entertainment/Sierra) -- DirectX 10.0, shaders 4.0, 'Very High' settings with adjusted AA and AF; run the game, invoke graphics settings and click the test button.
- Devil May Cry 4 (CAPCOM) -- DirectX 10.0, 'Super High' settings with adjusted AA and AF; Scene 1.
- Lost Planet Extreme Condition Colonies Edition (CAPCOM) -- DirectX 10.0, 'Super High' settings (with adjusted AA and AF); Scene 1.
Note that performance diagrams are located on dedicated pages.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky
Performance charts: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
World In Conflict
Performance charts: World In Conflict
CRYSIS, Rescue, DX10, Very High
Performance charts: CRYSIS, Rescue, DX10, Very High
CRYSIS Warhead, Cargo, DX10, Very High
Performance charts: CRYSIS Warhead, Cargo, DX10, Very High
Far Cry 2
Performance charts: Far Cry 2
Company Of Heroes
Performance charts: CoH
3DMark Vantage, Graphics MARKS
Performance charts: 3DMark Vantage, Graphics MARKS
Devil May Cry 4, SCENE1
Performance charts: Devil May Cry 4, SCENE1
Lost Planet EC Colonies, SCENE1
Performance charts: Lost Planet EC Colonies, SCENE1
Let's say a few words about 5870 CrossFire. The time of ultimate victories in all tests is long gone. For the last several years we have seen occasional defeats caused by driver bugs. I already wrote that all graphics cards based on AMD GPUs suffered from the vertical sync problem in CoH - even though it was disabled in the driver options, it was still enabled in the game, so it was practically impossible to obtain frame rates above 59.9 fps. All RADEONs lose in this game. Not because they are slow, but just because a stupid bug does not let them reveal their full potential.
As for 5870 CF, this tandem puts up good performance. As we can see, it sometimes outperforms GTX 295 Quad SLI. Considering all innovations, including DX11, we can say that it's the most powerful tandem with the most 3D features these days (at the moment of publication).
Gigabyte GV-N275SO (GeForce GTX 275 SuperOverclock) 1792MB is a very interesting product. Our tests prove that the card can outperform even the more expensive GTX 285. Plus a certain stepping stone for future models, as this huge memory capacity is excessive today.
Gigabyte GV-N26SO (GeForce GTX 260 SuperOverclock) 896MB is no less interesting. It manages to catch up and outperform the more expensive GTX 275, operating at nominal frequencies. Certainly expedient.
Gigabyte GV-R587D5-1GD (RADEON HD 5870) 1024MB possesses everything of a reference HD 5870 card. Nothing more, nothing less. So you might as well read our conclusions here. By this time it has been the fastest graphics card with the most 3D features.
We express our gratitude to Gigabyte for the provided graphics cards.
The PSU has been provided by TAGAN, the monitor has been provided by NVIDIA.
Write a comment below. No registration needed!