NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1GB Roundup
- Intel Core i7-975 3340 MHz CPU
- ASUS P6T Deluxe motherboard on the Intel X58 chipset
- 6GB of 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM from Corsair
- WD Caviar SE WD1600JD 160GB SATA HDD
- Tagan TG900-BZ 900W PSU
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, DirectX 11
- 30" Dell 3007WFP monitor
- NVIDIA Drivers 260.99
- ATI CATALYST 10.10
- Far Cry 2 (Ubisoft) -- DirectX 10.0, Shaders 4.0 (HDR), built-in benchmarking utility (the Middle level), maximum settings.
- CRYSIS Warhead (Crytek/EA) -- Cargo, DirectX 10.0, Shaders 4.0, Very High settings, batch file, timedemo available by e-mail request.
- Colin McRae: DiRT 2 (Codemasters) -- DirectX 10.0/11.0, Ultra High settings, run the benchmark as follows: "dirt2.exe -benchmark example_benchmark.xml".
- Metro 2033 (4A Games/THQ) -- DirectX 11.0, Super High settings, PhysX disabled, benchmark is run from the game.
- Just Cause 2 (Avalanche Studios/Eidos Interactive) -- DirectX 11.0, Super High settings, run the benchmark from the in-game menu.
- Aliens vs. Predator (Rebellion/SEGA) -- DirectX 11.0, Shaders 5.0, Very High settings, run the benchmark from the in-game menu.
- Tropics Benchmark 1.3 (Unigine) -- DirectX 10.0, High settings.
- Heaven Benchmark 2.0 (Unigine) -- DirectX 10.0, High settings.
- Heaven Benchmark 2.0 (Unigine) -- DirectX 11.0, High settings.
- 3DMark Vantage 1.02 (FutureMark) -- DirectX 10.0, Shaders 4.0, multitexturing, Extreme settings.
- RightMark3D (iXBT.com) -- DirectX, a synthetic benchmark, Shaders 2.0/2.0b/3.0.
We'd like to thank Unigine for helping us set up their benchmarks.
Long ago we proved how unreliable were test results obtained with the FRAPS utility. Sadly, this only leaves us benchmarks built into games. For this reason we prefer to use a small number of tests, but all of those are transparent and precise. What's more important, they accurately show the correlation of graphics card performance.
Far Cry 2
Crysis Warhead, Cargo
Colin McRae: DiRT 2
Just Cause 2
Aliens vs. Predator DirectX 11.0
Unigine Tropics Benchmark
Unigine Heaven Benchmark DirectX 10.0
Unigine Heaven Benchmark DirectX 11.0
3DMark Vantage Graphics Marks
While all the general conclusions are provided in the baseline review, we'd like to add that GeForce GTX 460 competes well with both the older Radeon HD 5830 and the newer Radeon HD 6850. Now let's say a few words about each graphics card we reviewed today.
Lantic NGTX460D5-1G2DH isn't the most overlocked, but has an excellent, quiet cooler which allows for further overclocking. Just remember that this model occupies three slots in the enclosure.
Leadtek WinFast GTX 460 1GB is very similar to the reference, but it still offers slightly higher clock rates.
ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU TOP/2DI/1GD5 is decently overclocked and has a very nice cooler that deals with further overclocking as well. Also, as a part of ASUS's TOP series, it comes with a leather CD case.
Leadtek WinFast GTX 460 EXTREME is similar to the reference model, but has a copper cooler that does a good job even at 800 MHz. In fact, this GeForce GTX 460 variant outperforms the higher-end GeForce GTX 465 and almost catches up with GeForce GTX 470.
Manli GeForce GTX460OC has the same highly efficient cooler as the Lantic's card, and is factory overclocked to 800 MHz. All the advantages in one package. Moreover, this graphics card worked fine at 850 MHz core clock rate as well! This is a great leap forward from the standard 675 MHz. It also comes with a HDMI mini to HDMI adapter.
We express gratitude to ASUS, Leadtek and Manli for the provided graphics cards. The PSU is provided by TAGAN, the monitor is provided by NVIDIA.
Write a comment below. No registration needed!