ATI RADEON HD 4770 (RV740) 512MB
A great combination of price and performance.
May 12, 2009
Performance in games
- Intel Core2 Extreme QX9650 (3000 MHz) CPU
- Zotac 790i Ultra motherboard on NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra
- 2GB DDR3 SDRAM Corsair 2000MHz
- WD Caviar SE WD1600JD 160GB SATA hard drive
- Tagan TG900-BZ 900W PSU
- Windows Vista 32-bit SP1, DirectX 10.1
- Dell 3007WFP 30-inch monitor
- ATI CATALYST 9.4; NVIDIA 185.68 drivers
- VSync disabled
- Far Cry 2 (Ubisoft) -- DirectX 10.0, shaders 4.0 (HDR), built-in benchmarking utility (the Middle level), maximum settings.
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky 1.507 (GSC Game World/THQ) -- DirectX 10.0, maximum quality settings (dynamic lighting enabled); demo, copy files to the savegames folder, run the game, load level 'ixbt4', and type "demo_play ixbt4" in the console. This game does not support AA.
- 3DMark Vantage 1.02 (FutureMark) -- DirectX 10.0, shaders 4.0, multitexturing, 'Extreme' settings.
- CRYSIS 1.2 (Crytek/EA), DirectX 10.0, shaders 4.0, 'Very High' settings, 'Rescue' level; batch file, e-mail us to obtain the timedemo.
- CRYSIS Warhead (Crytek/EA), DirectX 10.0, shaders 4.0, 'Very High' settings, 'Cargo' level; batch file, e-mail us to obtain the timedemo.
- Company Of Heroes Opposing Fronts (Relic Entertainment/THQ) -- DirectX 10.0, shaders 4.0, maximum settings; batch file, run the game, invoke graphics settings and click the test button.
- World In Conflict 1.007 (Massive Entertainment/Sierra) -- DirectX 10.0, shaders 4.0, 'Very High' settings with adjusted AA and AF; run the game, invoke graphics settings and click the test button.
- Devil May Cry 4 (CAPCOM) -- DirectX 10.0, 'Super High' settings with adjusted AA and AF; Scene 1.
- Lost Planet Extreme Condition Colonies Edition (CAPCOM) -- DirectX 10.0, 'Super High' settings (with adjusted AA and AF); Scene 1.
Note that performance charts are located on dedicated pages.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky
Performance charts: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
World In Conflict
Performance charts: World In Conflict
CRYSIS, Rescue, DX10, Very High
Performance charts: CRYSIS, Rescue, DX10, Very High
CRYSIS Warhead, Cargo, DX10, Very High
Performance charts: CRYSIS Warhead, Cargo, DX10, Very High
Far Cry 2
Performance charts: Far Cry 2
Company Of Heroes
Performance charts: CoH
3DMark Vantage, Graphics MARKS
Performance charts: 3DMark Vantage, Graphics MARKS
Devil May Cry 4, SCENE1
Performance charts: Devil May Cry 4, SCENE1
Lost Planet EC Colonies, SCENE1
Performance charts: Lost Planet EC Colonies, SCENE1
The card left a very good impression in general. Even if it was sometimes outperformed by competing products, we must admit that HD 4770 is faster than 9800 GT in most cases. This card defeats HD 4850 in those tests, where fillrate plays an important role (HD 4770 offers higher fillrates owing to a very high GPU clock rate). We should also mention that the 128-bit bus in combination with GDDR5 memory provides excellent memory bandwidth, similar to older cards with a 256-bit bus. So it is possible to simplify GPUs and PCBs and still get good results.
I don't understand why they had to install 8 memory chips with the 128-bit bus, while modern technologies allow to get 512MB with 4 x 1024Mb chips. Perhaps 8 x 512Mb configuration is less expensive. Still, it looks strange.
HIS RADEON HD 4770 512MB copies the reference design, except for the cooling system. Its cooler does not eject hot air from enclosure, but is more efficient and noiseless. Besides, cards of this class and power consumption level do not need to eject heat out of enclosure anyway.
On the whole, this card is a good product. This HD 4830 replacement is much more efficient than we could have expected.
Prices for GTS 250 may also drop in response. But they will hardly reach the recommended 99 USD. And HD 4770 is not much slower, so there are no reasons to worry about this.
We express our gratitude to AMD and HIS for the provided graphics cards.
The PSU has been provided by TAGAN, the monitor has been provided by NVIDIA.
Write a comment below. No registration needed!