HIS 6850 Fan 1GB GDDR5, HIS 6870 Fan Turbo 1GB GDDR5 Graphics Cards
- Intel Core i7-975 3340 MHz CPU
- ASUS P6T Deluxe motherboard on the Intel X58 chipset
- 6GB of 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM from Corsair
- WD Caviar SE WD1600JD 160GB SATA HDD
- Tagan TG900-BZ 900W PSU
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, DirectX 11
- 30" Dell 3007WFP monitor
- VSync disabled
- NVIDIA Drivers 266.35/266.58
- ATI CATALYST 10.12
- Far Cry 2 (Ubisoft) — DirectX 10.0, Shaders 4.0 (HDR), built-in benchmarking utility (the Middle level), maximum settings.
- CRYSIS Warhead (Crytek/EA) — Cargo, DirectX 10.0, Shaders 4.0, Very High settings, batch file, timedemo available by e-mail request.
- Colin McRae: DiRT 2 (Codemasters) — DirectX 10.0/11.0, Ultra High settings, run as follows: "dirt2.exe -benchmark example_benchmark.xml".
- Metro 2033 (4A Games/THQ) — DirectX 11.0, Super High settings, PhysX disabled, run from in game.
- Just Cause 2 (Avalanche Studios/Eidos Interactive) — DirectX 11.0, Super High settings, run from in game.
- Aliens vs. Predator (Rebellion/SEGA) — DirectX 11.0, Shaders 5.0, Very High settings, run from in game.
- F1 2010 (Codemasters) — DirectX 11.0, Ultra High settings, run as follows: "formulaone.exe -benchmark example_benchmark.xml". Game provided by NVIDIA.
- Tropics Benchmark 1.3 (Unigine) — DirectX 10.0, High settings.
- Heaven Benchmark 2.0 (Unigine) — DirectX 11.0, High settings.
- 3DMark 11 (FutureMark) — DirectX 11.0, Performance settings.
- RightMark3D (iXBT.com) — DirectX, a synthetic benchmark, Shaders 2.0/2.0b/3.0.
We'd like to thank Unigine for helping us set up their benchmarks.
We're sorry but there's a misprint in the diagrams. "GTX 570 1280MB, 800/1600/4000 MHz" should read "GTX 570 1280MB, 825/1650/4400 MHz".
Since HIS 6870 Fan Turbo 1GB GDDR5 HDMI/2xDVI/2xMini DP is only slightly overclocked, offering just 3-4% extra performance, there's no sense in providing its results along with those of the regular model.
Far Cry 2
Crysis Warhead, Cargo
Colin McRae: DiRT 2
Just Cause 2
Aliens vs. Predator DirectX 11.0
Unigine Tropics Benchmark
Unigine Heaven Benchmark DirectX 11.0
3DMark 11 Graphics Marks
HIS 6870 Fan Turbo 1GB GDDR5 HDMI/2xDVI/2xMini DP copies the reference design. The "Turbo" suffix only stands for the extra 20 MHz — that's not overclocking we usually expect. Core clock rate has to be increased by at least 10% for performance boost to become noticeable. Since this card has all the advantages and drawbacks of reference cards, you might want to read the corresponding baseline review. In brief, Radeon HD 6870 is a bit slower than GeForce GTX 470. There's also the newer GeForce GTX 560 Ti which is faster but also more expensive. In other words, price is the key.
HIS 6850 Fan 1GB GDDR5 HDMI/2xDVI/DP is a custom model that has standard clock rates, but an improved cooler. It's also a bit smaller than the reference card. Conclusions are also similar to those provided in the baseline review. This solution is a good competitor to all kinds of GeForce GTX 460, but you need to watch prices, too. Note that GeForce GTX 460 may become cheaper due to the release of GeForce GTX 560 Ti.
Traditionally, we should say there are certain issues with AMD Catalyst. One old problem that hasn't been fixed yet: if you install drivers and then replace graphics card with another compatible AMD product, the new card won't be recognized. Well, at least the installer from version 10.12 installs drivers without errors.
We express gratitude to HIS for the provided graphics cards. The PSU is provided by TAGAN, the monitor is provided by NVIDIA.
Write a comment below. No registration needed!