- Intel Core i7-975 3340 MHz CPU
- ASUS P6T Deluxe motherboard on the Intel X58 chipset
- 6GB of 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM from Corsair
- WD Caviar SE WD1600JD 160GB SATA HDD
- Tagan TG900-BZ 900W PSU
- Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit, DirectX 11
- 30" Dell 3007WFP monitor
- ATI CATALYST 10.7; NVIDIA Drivers 258.96.
- VSync disabled
- Far Cry 2 (Ubisoft) -- DirectX 10.0, Shaders 4.0 (HDR), built-in benchmarking utility (the Middle level), maximum settings.
- CRYSIS Warhead (Crytek/EA) -- Cargo, DirectX 10.0, Shaders 4.0, Very High settings, batch file, timedemo available by e-mail request.
- Colin McRae: DiRT 2 (Codemasters) -- DirectX 10.0/11.0, Ultra High settings, run the benchmark as follows: "dirt2.exe -benchmark example_benchmark.xml".
- Warhammer 40.000: Dawn Of War II (Relic Entertainment/THQ) -- DirectX 10.0, Super High settings, run the benchmark from the in-game menu.
- Just Cause 2 (Avalanche Studios/Eidos Interactive) -- DirectX 11.0, Super High settings, run the benchmark from the in-game menu.
- Aliens vs. Predator (Rebellion/SEGA) -- DirectX 11.0, Shaders 5.0, Very High settings, run the benchmark from the in-game menu.
- Tropics Benchmark 1.3 (Unigine) -- DirectX 10.0, High settings.
- Heaven Benchmark 2.0 (Unigine) -- DirectX 10.0, High settings.
- Heaven Benchmark 2.0 (Unigine) -- DirectX 11.0, High settings.
- 3DMark Vantage 1.02 (FutureMark) -- DirectX 10.0, Shaders 4.0, multitexturing, Extreme settings.
We'd like to thank Unigine for helping us set up their benchmarks.
Long ago we proved how unreliable were test results obtained with the FRAPS utility. Sadly, this only leaves us benchmarks built into games. For this reason we prefer to use a small number of tests, but all of those are transparent and precise. What's more important, they accurately show the correlation of graphics card performance.
Note that we provide the results of standard GeForce GTX 460 768MB/1024MB cards as well as the results of GeForce GTX 460 1024MB cards factory-overclocked to 800/1600 MHz (which is the highest factory overclocking for now). This way you can easily imagine what performance should be in between.
Far Cry 2
Crysis Warhead, Cargo
Colin McRae: DiRT 2
Warhammer 40.000: Dawn Of War II
Just Cause 2
Aliens vs. Predator DirectX 11.0
Unigine Tropics Benchmark
Unigine Heaven Benchmark DirectX 10.0
Unigine Heaven Benchmark DirectX 11.0
3DMark Vantage Graphics Marks
Inno3D Geforce GTX 460 OC 1GB is a good solution with a decent cooler (<76°C). It mainly copies the reference design, but its overclocking is enough to beat GeForce GTX 465.
Leadtek WinFast GTX 460 768MB is a copy of the reference design that heats up to 71°C. This isn't much, but the card isn't overclocked either.
Gainward GeForce GTX 460 1024MB GS-GLH is an excellent solution. It's one of the best GeForce GTX 460 today. It's both factory-overclocked, quiet and well-cooled (<79 °C). Not only it outperforms GeForce GTX 465 and Radeon HD 5830, it also catches up with GeForce GTX 470 and occasionally outdoes Radeon HD 5850.
MSI N460GTX Cyclone 1GD5/OC is a very interesting product with an excellent cooler (<61°C) and matching overclocking potential (also thanks to the improved power circuitry layout and voltage adjustment capability). This solution also outperforms GeForce GTX 465 and Radeon HD 5830.
Palit GeForce GTX 460 Sonic Platinum 1024MB GDDR5 is identical to the Gainward's solution, but offers better cooling (<74 °C). This is the absolute winner.
Zotac ZT-40402-10P is essentially a reference card with a 256-bit bus and 1024MB of memory. Unfortunately, it's not very well cooled (<82°C), but the heat isn't critical. The card also has a nice bundle.
In general, GeForce GTX 460 1024MB 256-bit outperforms the 768MB counterpart, primarily thanks to the wider bus. Already at standard clock rates this solution is faster than GeForce GTX 465 which, being based on GeForce GTX 470, is too expensive, hot and power-hungry. In other words, GeForce GTX 460 1024MB kills GeForce GTX 465. And it also outperforms the primary rival, Radeon HD 5830.
We express gratitude to Gainward, InnoVision, MSI, Leadtek, Zotac and Palit for the provided graphics cards. The PSU is provided by TAGAN, the monitor is provided by NVIDIA.
Write a comment below. No registration needed!