ATI RADEON HD 5970 Graphics Card
The most powerful gaming solution today.
December 17, 2009
Performance in games
- Intel Core I7 CPU 920 (2,667 MHz) CPU
- ASUS P6T Deluxe motherboard with the Intel X58 chipset
- 3GB Corsair's DDR3 SDRAM, 1066MHz
- WD Caviar SE WD1600JD 160GB SATA HDD
- Tagan TG900-BZ 900W PSU
- Windows Vista 32-bit SP1, DirectX 10.1
- Dell 3007WFP 30-inch monitor
- ATI CATALYST 9.11; NVIDIA 195.55 drivers
- VSync disabled
- Far Cry 2 (Ubisoft) -- DirectX 10.0, shaders 4.0 (HDR), built-in benchmarking utility (the Middle level), maximum settings.
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky 1.509 (GSC Game World/THQ) -- DirectX 10.0, maximum quality settings (dynamic lighting enabled); demo, copy files to the savegames folder, run the game, load level 'ixbt4', and type "demo_play ixbt4" in the console. Maximum test settings (dynamic lights enabled). This game does not support AA.
- 3DMark Vantage 1.02 (FutureMark) -- DirectX 10.0, shaders 4.0, multitexturing, 'Extreme' settings.
- CRYSIS 1.2 (Crytek/EA), DirectX 10.0, shaders 4.0, 'Very High' settings, 'Rescue' level; batch file, e-mail us to obtain the timedemo.
- CRYSIS Warhead (Crytek/EA), DirectX 10.0, shaders 4.0, 'Very High' settings, 'Cargo' level; batch file, e-mail us to obtain the timedemo.
- Company Of Heroes Opposing Fronts (Relic Entertainment/THQ) -- DirectX 10.0, shaders 4.0, maximum settings; batch file, run the game, invoke graphics settings and click the test button.
- World In Conflict 1.007 (Massive Entertainment/Sierra) -- DirectX 10.0, shaders 4.0, 'Very High' settings with adjusted AA and AF; run the game, invoke graphics settings and click the test button.
- Devil May Cry 4 (CAPCOM) -- DirectX 10.0, 'Super High' settings with adjusted AA and AF; Scene 1.
- Lost Planet Extreme Condition Colonies Edition (CAPCOM) -- DirectX 10.0, 'Super High' settings (with adjusted AA and AF); Scene 1.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky
Far Cry 2
World In Conflict
Crysis Warhead, Cargo
Company Of Heroes Opposing Fronts
3DMark Vantage Graphics Marks
Devil May Cry 4, Scene 1
Lost Planet Extreme Condition Colonies Edition, Scene 1
The tests confirm our assumptions that RADEON HD 5970 is the fastest single-PCB card today. However, you have to remember that all dual-GPU solutions strongly depend on drivers, as well as support for multiple GPUs in games. Because of this, only one GPU of such a card might work in newer games until the support for multiple GPUs is added to drivers.
Second, it's still impossible to disable VSync in Company Of Heroes, in case of AMD graphics cards. So all the disadvantages shown by the images are not justified. We still post them, hoping that programmers working for AMD will notice this and fix the bug. Anyway, we are going to replace Company Of Heroes with another benchmark in the near future.
Gigabyte RADEON HD 5970 2x1024MB copies the reference design, has a nice sticker and a nice box.
HIS RADEON HD 5970 2x1024MB also copies the reference design, and is bundled with a few bonuses.
Sapphire RADEON HD 5970 Overclocked 2x1024MB copies the reference design as well. The so-called "overclocking" is so minute that they should be ashamed of adding "Overclocked" to the card's title, really.
In general, RADEON HD 5970 is a very powerful solution. However, it also consumes 30W more than GeForce GTX 295. For this reason, it requires at least an 800W PSU with very stable support of 18-22 A current loads.
We express gratitude to Gigabyte, HIS and Sapphire for the provided graphics cards. The PSU has been provided by TAGAN, the monitor has been provided by NVIDIA.
Write a comment below. No registration needed!