iXBT Labs - Computer Hardware in Detail

Platform

Video

Multimedia

Mobile

Other

AMD FX-8350 Processor

The first worthwhile Piledriver CPU.

January 28, 2013



« Previous page

     Next page »

Tests

Our test method is briefly described here. The scores on diagrams are relative to that of our reference testbed that always scores 100 points. As of 2011, it's based on the AMD Athlon II X4 620 CPU, 8GB of RAM and Palit's NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1280MB. Detailed (absolute) results are traditionally provided in this summary.

3D Modeling

These few-threading benchmarks prefer Intel processors, so there is no competition between the big rivals. The most interesting fact here is the noticeable gap between FX-8350 and the other three AMD CPUs. The preceeding FX-8150 slightly outperforms A10-5800K thanks to the L3 cache, but FX-8350 has both the L3 cache and improved architecture.

Final 3D Rendering

Having only four vector units, Bulldozer processors deal poorly with such a load. They yield to both Intel Core i5 and Phenom II X6. In turn, the Piledriver-based FX-8350 beats them all, as impressively as it did in the previous group of tests. While this is not enough to compete with the 8-thread Core i7 CPUs of the second and third generations, it does allow the novelty to catch up with Core i5-3450. Good progress!

Data Compression/Decompression

Note: despite having more cores and L3 cache, Phenom II X6 1100T outperforms A10-5800K only by 5%, so developing a new microarchitecture instead of just moving to a finer process technology is truly justified. As for our testbeds, in this group of tests, FX-8150 has used to catch up with the second-generation Core i5s and some of the first-generation Core i7s, and the faster FX-8350 beats all Core i5 processors of the third generation and climbs close to the 2nd-gen Core i7 CPU.

Audio Encoding

Even FX-8150 beats Core i5s, not to mention FX-8350 which perform on a par with Core i7. Here, the extra 10% thread performance plus extra 10% clock rate provide the overall 20% performance boost to the hero of this review.

Compiling

This cache-demanding test group shows similar results though the boost is not significant, because L3 cache specifications of the novelty remain the same. However, the extra 15% performance let FX-8350 leave Phenom II X6 1100T far behind and almost catch up with the latest-generation Core i7.

Mathematical and Engineering Computations

In this mostly few-threading group of tests Intel processors are traditionally out of reach. Again, FX-8350 is the first FX processor to outperform Phenom II X6 1100T.


Write a comment below. No registration needed!


« Previous page

Next page »



blog comments powered by Disqus

  Most Popular Reviews More    RSS  

AMD Phenom II X4 955, Phenom II X4 960T, Phenom II X6 1075T, and Intel Pentium G2120, Core i3-3220, Core i5-3330 Processors

Comparing old, cheap solutions from AMD with new, budget offerings from Intel.
February 1, 2013 · Processor Roundups

Inno3D GeForce GTX 670 iChill, Inno3D GeForce GTX 660 Ti Graphics Cards

A couple of mid-range adapters with original cooling systems.
January 30, 2013 · Video cards: NVIDIA GPUs

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1

An external X-Fi solution in tests.
September 9, 2008 · Sound Cards

AMD FX-8350 Processor

The first worthwhile Piledriver CPU.
September 11, 2012 · Processors: AMD

Consumed Power, Energy Consumption: Ivy Bridge vs. Sandy Bridge

Trying out the new method.
September 18, 2012 · Processors: Intel
  Latest Reviews More    RSS  

i3DSpeed, September 2013

Retested all graphics cards with the new drivers.
Oct 18, 2013 · 3Digests

i3DSpeed, August 2013

Added new benchmarks: BioShock Infinite and Metro: Last Light.
Sep 06, 2013 · 3Digests

i3DSpeed, July 2013

Added the test results of NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 and AMD Radeon HD 7730.
Aug 05, 2013 · 3Digests

Gainward GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST 2GB Golden Sample Graphics Card

An excellent hybrid of GeForce GTX 650 Ti and GeForce GTX 660.
Jun 24, 2013 · Video cards: NVIDIA GPUs

i3DSpeed, May 2013

Added the test results of NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770/780.
Jun 03, 2013 · 3Digests
  Latest News More    RSS  

Platform  ·  Video  ·  Multimedia  ·  Mobile  ·  Other  ||  About us & Privacy policy  ·  Twitter  ·  Facebook


Copyright © Byrds Research & Publishing, Ltd., 1997–2011. All rights reserved.