Seagate Delivers Its Fastest Laptop HDD: Momentus XT Solid State Hybrid Drive
Seagate today announced shipments of the Momentus XT drive, its fastest 2.5-inch laptop PC hard drive, combining SSD-like performance with the massive capacity and much lower cost of HDDs. The Momentus XT drive also features Adaptive Memory -- a new proprietary technology that learns and optimizes the drive's performance to each user by moving frequently used information into the flash memory for faster access. The Momentus XT solid state hybrid drive is claimed to boot up to 100% faster than traditional 5400RPM drives.
Today's high-performance SSDs for mobile computing cost as much as 10 times more than hard disk drives of the same capacity, with the price of a 250GB SSD outstripping even the cost of many laptop PCs. As a result, most consumers and system builders are unwilling or unable to pay the high price for the greater speed and quiet operations of SSDs. Additionally, SSDs offer fewer capacity options than hard disk drives.
The Momentus XT drive is a best-of-both-worlds solution that combines a 7200RPM spin speed, 4GB of solid state memory and Seagate's Adaptive Memory technology to deliver improved hard drive performance. The Adaptive Memory technology works by identifying patterns in how often certain digital data is used, and then moving the most frequently used information to the embedded solid state memory for faster access, effectively tailoring hard drive performance to each user and their applications.
ASUS has also announced that it will offer the Momentus XT drive as an upgrade option for its new Republic of Gamers (ROG) G73Jh notebook. The system is powered by an Intel i7 720Qm quad-core processor, 8GB of DDR3 memory, and DX11 capable ATI Radeon Mobility HD 5870.
The Momentus XT drive installs as easily as a traditional 9.5mm-high notebook drive for new systems or laptop upgrades and, unlike early hybrid drives, operates independently of the operating system and the motherboard chipset.
In addition to the laptop drive, Seagate is also delivering an addition to the mainstream Momentus series. This new Momentus 750GB drive is a traditional hard disk drive for mainstream to high-performance machines and external backup enclosures. The Momentus 750GB drive also features a SATA 3Gb/s interface with NCQ, 16MB cache, silent acoustics and low power consumption.
- Model Number: ST95005620AS, ST93205620AS, ST92505610AS
- Interface: SATA 3Gb/s
- Cache: 32MB
- Capacity: 500GB, 320GB, 250GB
- Areal density (avg): 394Gb/in2
- Guaranteed Sectors 976,773,168
- 9.7mm (0.378 in) x 70.10mm (2.76 in) x 100.55mm (3.959 in) @ 110g (.238 lb)
- Spin Speed: 7200 RPM
- Average latency: 4.17ms
- Random read seek time: 11ms
- Random write seek time: 13ms
- I/O data transfer rate: 300MB/s
- Unrecoverable read errors: 1 in 1014
- Annual failure rate: 0.5%
- 5V start max current: 1.0A
- Average idle power: 0.8W
- Average operating power: 1.1W
- Average seek power: 2.2W
- Operating temp. 0° ~ 60°C
- Nonoperating temp. -40° ~ 70°C
- Maximum operating temperature change: 20°C per hour
- Maximum nonoperating temperature change: 35°C per hour
- Operating shock (max.): 350 Gs for 2ms
- Nonoperating shock (max.): 1000 Gs for 1ms
- Acoustics (idle volume): 2.3 bels
- Acoustics (seek volume): 2.6 bels
ASUS Launches R9 200, R7 200 Series, Matrix R9 280X Graphics Cards
Apacer Launches SATA SLC-lite SSD solutions
ADATA Introduces a Stylish External HDD HC630
Samsung Introduces New Wireless Multiroom Speakers
WD Gives Consumers a Cloud of Their Own
Write a comment below. No registration needed!