EMC Breaks the $2,000 Barrier with New Iomega Rackmount NAS
Iomega, an EMC company, today launched the Iomega StorCenter Pro ix4-200r NAS Rackmount Server. Powered by the EMC LifeLine operating system, the StorCenter Pro ix4-200r delivers economical file sharing, fast data throughput, cross-platform support and enterprise features for today's small to medium businesses and remote work groups.
The new StorCenter Pro ix4-200r provides up to 4TB of networked storage in hot-swap SATA II hard drives. This four-drive NAS rackmount server offers such advanced features as iSCSI block-level access, multiple RAID configurations, folder quotas support, jumbo frames, Windows Active Directory support, remote access and management, IP security camera support and a first for its rackmount storage capacity and price category: VMware Ready certification for vitualization installations - all at a starting price of less than $1,800 (for the 2TB model).
The ix4-200r NAS features include:
- Hardware: The ix4-200r contains 4 disk drive bays, a 3.2 GHz Intel Celeron processor, 1GB system memory and one Gigabit Ethernet connection in a 1U (1.75-inch) high chassis that is mountable in NEMA-standard 19-inch racks. The ix4-200r ships with disk drives fully populated, for a total capacity of 2TB or 4TB.
- iSCSI Support: Provides block-level access for efficient storage utilization, especially for database, email and backup application performance. This feature also allows host-based operating systems and virtualization software to use the full capabilities of their native file systems, such as enabling VMFS for VMware utilization.
- VMware Ready Certification: The ix4-200r is certified as both NAS (NFS) and iSCSI storage VMware ESX server 3. The ix4-200r is the only product in its class to carry VMware Ready Certification, and enables SMBs to affordably take advantage of the tremendous benefits and advanced features offered by shared storage in a VMware environment.
- Remote Access: Set up remote access and remotely manage and access data from your ix4-200r.
- RAID Support: The ix4-200r is pre-configured for RAID 5 but also offers the alternatives of RAID 10 (both with automatic rebuild), as well as single volume storage (JBOD).
- Multiple Network Protocols: The ix4-200r works in Windows, Linux and MAC environments with network protocol support including CIFS/SMB/Rally, NFS, and AFP/Bonjour. The ix4-200r also supports advanced protocols such as HTTP, FTP and SNMP.
- Windows Active Directory Support (ADS): The ix4-200r functions as a client member in an Active Directory domain.
- UPS Support: UPS enables unattended system shutdown without data loss in the case of power failure.
- Expandability and versatility: 3 USB 2.0 ports. On expansion storage, the ix4 supports read and write on various formats, including Fat32, NTFS or ext2/ext3 formatted hard disks (read only on external HFS+ formatted drives).
- Video Surveillance: Supports up to four Axis Network video cameras, for real-time monitoring and video capture directly to the ix4-200r, dependent upon system workload and network conditions.
- Print Server: Supports intelligent print sharing capability for up to three USB printers directly connected to the ix4-200r.
- Advanced Media Support: Includes UPnP support through an integrated DLNA certified media server. The ix4-200r includes an iTunes server and also supports Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP) via one of three USB 2.0 ports, as well as Bluetooth uploads from a cell phone, pocket PC or Blackberry phone.
With just four mouse clicks, the ix4-200r is ready to work with any computer on the network. Management of the ix4-200r is handled by a user friendly web interface, accessible in any of 11 supported languages. Users can access files from any networked Windows PC, Linux workstation or Macintosh computer for easy file-sharing, data backup and print-serving.
The StorCenter Pro ix4-200r NAS provides data backup and protection for any number of desktops and laptops with integrated EMC Retrospect Express backup software. During the set-up process, users choose files and folders for scheduled automatic backups. After that, any changes or additions are updated and saved automatically.
For additional protection, the ix4-200r includes MozyHome online backup service, a secure way to store, protect and access important files. MozyHome online backup service provides 2GB of free online storage per user for backing up selected folders directly from their computers to world-class EMC data centers. Users can also upgrade to unlimited online storage for just $4.95 per month per client computer, or to the centrally-managed MozyPro plan for businesses.
The StorCenter Pro ix4-200r also includes RSA BSAFE encryption security technology for protecting installs and upgrades from viruses or malware.
The StorCenter Pro ix4-200r NAS Rackmount Server is compatible with Windows, Mac OS, and Linux environments. The interface is localized in 11 languages (English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Traditional and Simplified Chinese, German, and Russian).
The 2TB Iomega StorCenter Pro ix4-200r NAS Rackmount Server is now available worldwide for $1799.99; the 4TB model is also now available worldwide for $2,799.99. Both models include a three-year warranty (with registration).
More StorCenter products from Iomega:
Write a comment below. No registration needed!