Epson Develops USB Host Controller LSI with Dedicated USB Software
Seiko Epson Corporation has developed the S1R72U01, Japan's first USB controller LSI that includes dedicated software for connecting a mouse or keyboard. Sample shipments of the S1R72U01 have already begun.
Recently, the principles of universal design have been employed in various devices, highlighting a growing trend towards ease of use. As interface tools that are very inexpensive and easy-to-use, the mouse and keyboard are increasingly being used with embedded devices other than personal computers.
However, before connection between a mouse or keyboard and an embedded device can actually be achieved, developers must deal with the following issues:
- Acquisition of USB know-how;
- USB software development requires a lengthy time period and many man-hours;
- Inexpensive CPUs in the 8-bit and 16-bit class are not equipped with USB host functions.
Epson's newly-developed S1R72U01 incorporates all the USB software to enable connection with a mouse or keyboard in the chip, thus making it unnecessary for developers to have any knowledge at all about USB. Moreover, this product is able to connect with and control inexpensive CPUs in the 8-bit and 16-bit class and allows quick and easy connection with a mouse or keyboard and embedded devices.
- Requires absolutely no knowledge of USB; control is possible with UART serial interface;
- Control is possible with 8-bit or 16-bit CPU; package is small; compatible with various clocks;
- Equipped with human interface device class and USB host stack; development of USB software is completely unnecessary;
- UART serial interface allows for easy connection with CPU;
- Operates on single 3.0V to 5.5V power source;
- QFN, 7mm square, 48pin; QFP, 9mm square, 48pin.
USB host specifications:
- Equipped with 1 USB host port
- Incorporates USB software
- USB host stack; Human interface device class
- Full-speed mode (12 Mbps) and low-speed mode (1.5 Mbps)
- Incorporates host termination function
- VBUS power supply (when using this function, 5V power supply is necessary)
- CPU interface UART serial interface
- Power supply voltage Single 3.0V to 5.5V power supply
- CPU interface = 1.8V to 5V
- External clock 12MHz and 24MHz crystal oscillator and ceramic resonator (direct input of 12MHz and 24MHz is possible)
- Package QFN package: 7mm square, 0.5mm pitch, 48pin
- QFP package: 9mm square (including lead), 0.5mm pitch, 48pin
- Operating temperature range -40°C to +85°C
- Samples Now shipping ($6.00 US)
Release of an all-round model compatible with USB memory (master storage class) is scheduled for spring 2009.
Source: Seiko Epson Corporation
ASUS Launches R9 200, R7 200 Series, Matrix R9 280X Graphics Cards
Apacer Launches SATA SLC-lite SSD solutions
ADATA Introduces a Stylish External HDD HC630
Samsung Introduces New Wireless Multiroom Speakers
WD Gives Consumers a Cloud of Their Own
Write a comment below. No registration needed!