Sony Rolls Out 'Rolly'
Sony's Rolly entertainment player, a palm-sized, egg-shaped, 2GB device that rolls and spins like it's dancing to the music, is now available at Sony Style retail stores in the U.S.
Spawned from Sony portable audio technology and innovations in artificial intelligence, along with the company's design and entertainment legacy, this device, featuring 180-degree, horizontally opposed stereo speakers, provides an original combination of music, motion and fun.
Sound reverberates from the surface the device is placed on, whether on a desk or on the floor. With a digital amp for high sound quality and speakers with neodymium magnets, powerful audio performance is delivered from the compact unit.
With built-in robotic technologies, the device is designed to move its small arms, shoulders and wheels - six moving parts - to the beat of the music. With about 700 colors in its repertoire, lighting adds to the impact of the motion.
The Rolly device comes with choreography for three songs: "Also Sprach Zarathustra" (theme from "2001 – A Space Odyssey"), Avril Lavigne's "Girlfriend" and Earth Wind and Fire's "Boogie Wonderland." It can be powered up to play music and dance immediately right out of the box. Two additional tracks have been included to demonstrate how motion can be integrated into the listening experience.
To choreograph an original routine, the unit comes with Rolly Choreographer software. Motions can either be created automatically by the software for a specific song, or for a creative twist, you can create customized choreography for your favorite music. Once choreography has been created, the software simulates how the device will move so you can preview the dance moves on a PC before transferring the routine to the unit.
After creating original dance routine programs, users can share choreography with others in the Rolly Go forum. Using the choreographer software, motion files can be uploaded or downloaded online from this site.
The device's simple, clean, cable-less design lets it move freely on smooth surfaces. It is easy to change songs or control the volume by turning the wheels while the unit is on a surface or holding it in your hand. Shaking the device switches its music play to shuffle mode.
The player also contains Bluetooth technology for wirelessly streaming music from a compatible PC or mobile phone.
The battery life allows up to 5 hours of music playback and up to 5 hours of music and motion together on a single charge. The player supports non-secure AAC and MP3 formats.
The Rolly device comes in black and white and is available online at and at Sony Style stores for $400.
- Audio Formats: ATRAC3, ATRAC3plus, MP3, AAC
- Frequency Range: MP3: 32, 44.1, 48 kHz; ATRAC: 44.1 kHz; AAC: 11.025, 12, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48 kHz
- Speaker Output: 1.2W x 1.2W
- Type of Use: A2DP (Audio Streaming); AVRCP (Operate music in the Mobile Phone & PC)(Play/Stop/Volume+/-)
- Inputs and Outputs: Hi-Speed USB Port
- Memory: 2GB Built-in Flash Memory
- Battery Charging: USB bass power charging
- Battery Type: Lithium Ion Battery 1560mAh
- Power Handling Capacity: Only Music: About 5hours; Music & Motion: About 4hours
- Operating System Compatibility: Motion Editor 1.0/ SSCP Ver4.3; Windows Vista Home Basic/Home Premium/Business/Ultimate; Windows XP Home Edition/Professional (Over SP2); Media Center Edition 2004&2005 (Over SP2)
- Speaker Dimensions: 20mm (Diameter)
- Dimensions (Approx.): 4 1/8" x 2 9/16" x 2 9/16" (104 x 65 x 65 mm)
- Weight (Approx.): 11 oz (300g)
- Colors: white or black
Write a comment below. No registration needed!