Hitachi Announces Ultrastar 15K450 Enterprise Hard Drive
Hitachi announced the Ultrastar 15K450 enterprise hard drive that uses perpendicular magnetic recording (PMR) technology to deliver 450GB of storage, currently the highest available capacity in 15,000 RPM enterprise-class hard drives. The Ultrastar 15K450 is a solution for mission-critical server and storage applications, such as online transaction processing, intensive database queries and other multi-user applications.
According to Hitachi tests, the new drive offers a 30-percent improvement in sequential throughput over its predecessor. The drive features average seek times of 3.3 milliseconds and the rotational speeds reduce average latency time to 2 milliseconds. The new drive will ship with either 3Gb/s Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) or 4Gb/s Fibre Channel (FC) interfaces.
The Ultrastar 15K450 offers technologies such as fluid dynamic bearing motors to deliver a low acoustic rating and improved data integrity; and Rotational Vibration Safeguard (RVS) technology to anticipate disturbances that can occur in multi-drive configurations and counteract them. In addition, the Ultrastar 15K450 uses Hitachi's patented head load/unload ramp to minimize integration induced drive damage.
- 450GB (accessible capacity may be less)
- 183 billion bits per square inch maximum areal density
- 4 platters, 8 recording heads
- 2090 Mb/s max. media data rate
- 3.6 ms average seek time (with command overhead)
- 15,000 RPM, 2.0 ms average latency
- 3Gb/s SAS, 4Gb/s FCAL interfaces
- 16 MB data buffer
- 25.8 mm in height (max)
- 750 in weight (max)
- 250 G/2 ms pulse non-operating shock
- SAS: 13.3 watt idle power
- FCAL: 13.4 watt idle power
- 3.7 Bels typical idle acoustics
- 5 to 55 degrees C operating temperature
The Ultrastar 15K450 will be shipping this quarter to customers worldwide.
Write a comment below. No registration needed!