Micron Introduces Tiny 2-Megapixel SoC For Thin Mobile Phones, PC Cameras and PDAs
Micron Technology introduced a 1/5-inch 2-megapixel imaging system-on-chip (SoC) for thin mobile phones, PC cameras and personal digital assistants. The new imaging SoC (product number MT9D113) complements Micron's portfolio of image sensor products based on its high-performance 1.75-micron pixel. The SoC offers ease of design for mobile device manufacturers in a cost-effective package, enabling incorporation of highly-featured 2 MP cameras in phones targeted at the rapidly growing emerging markets. The new imaging SoC was announced in connection with the 2008 Mobile World Congress tradeshow in Barcelona, Spain.
By leveraging Micron's advanced 1.75-micron pixel design that is popular in products ranging from 1.3 MP to 8MP, and powered by its renowned DigitalClarity technology, the new imaging SoC offers excellent low-light sensitivity and high-speed image capture, with video modes of 15 frames per second (fps) at full resolution and 30 fps in viewfinder mode. With its one-fifth inch optical format, the new imaging SoC enables a 6.5 millimeter (mm) by 6.5 mm camera module size. The solution provides an easy upgrade for small format VGA and 1.3 MP parts and is also a compelling cost-down solution for larger format, one-quarter inch, 2 MP parts.
Additional key features designed into Micron's MT9D113 include a one-time-programmable (OTP) memory and both serial mobile industry processor interface (MIPI) and traditional parallel outputs. OTP allows greater programmability and manufacturing flexibility (by allowing designers to program the camera to use multiple lenses and enabling production calibration of lens parameters). The serial output requires fewer pins, reducing design time and cost. Additional specifications on the new solution can be found at http://download.micron.com/pdf/flyers/MT9d113_flyer.pdf. The new imaging SoC is sampling now with mass production expected in March 2008.
In addition to Micron's new 2 MP imaging SoC, the 1.75-micron pixel family also includes:
- A 1/2.5-inch, 8-megapixel sensor (product number MT9E001) that is capable of bursting more than 10 pictures a second at full 8-megapixel resolution and more than 30 pictures a second at 2-megapixel resolution.
- A 1/3.2-inch, 5-megapixel sensor (product number MT9P012) that captures video at 60 frames per second (fps) at 720p and 30 fps at 1080p for high-definition video capture.
- A 1/4-inch, 3-megapixel (product number MT9T013) sensor that captures VGA video at 30 fps.
- A 1/4-inch, 3-megapixel (product number MT9T111) complete camera system on chip that has an anti-shake feature designed into the sensor, which greatly reduces image blurring often found in camera phone pictures due to camera shake.
- And a 1/6-inch, 1.3-megapixel (product number MT9M113) completely integrated camera system on chip capturing VGA video at 30 fps.
Source: Micron Technology
ASUS Launches R9 200, R7 200 Series, Matrix R9 280X Graphics Cards
Apacer Launches SATA SLC-lite SSD solutions
ADATA Introduces a Stylish External HDD HC630
Samsung Introduces New Wireless Multiroom Speakers
WD Gives Consumers a Cloud of Their Own
Write a comment below. No registration needed!