Hitachi Ships "Super-Pendicular" Hard Drive
Hitachi today started shipping its most reliable and technically-advanced 2.5-inch hard drive -- Travelstar 5K160. The 160GB Travelstar 5K160 is a 5400 RPM 2.5-inch hard drive designed for notebook and mobile computing.
The company has dubbed the Travelstar 5K160 the "Super-pendicular Drive" because it combines several innovations: improved corrosion resistance due to implementation of proprietary alloy combination and layer-deposition process; use of new PMR write head able to write smaller data bits more sharply and with greater fidelity; use of the iridium-manganese-chromium (IrMnCr) read-head alloy claimed to double the reliability.
- 160/120/80/60/40 GB
- 9.5 mm in height
- 102/102/95/95/95/95 grams in weight
- 5400 RPM
- 131 billion bits per square inch maximum areal density
- 4/4/2/2/1 recording heads
- 2/2/1/1/1 platter(s)
- 325 G (2ms) operating shock
- 1000 G (1ms) non-operating shock
- 540 Mb/s max. media transfer rate
- 11 ms seek time
- 5.5 ms average latency
- 100 Ultra DMA mode-5/SATA 1.5 Gb/s
- 8 MB data buffer
- 0.80 w active idle
- 0.60 w low power idle
- 2.5/2.5/2.2/2.2/2.2 Bels typical idle acoustics
- 5 to 55 degrees C operating temperature
- Fluid Dynamic Bearing (FDB) spindle motor
Write a comment below. No registration needed!