TI announces TCS3500 EDGE chipset for new smartphones
Texas Instruments announced the TCS3500 EDGE chipset and the reference design for smartphones and PDAs supporting cellular operation. The chipset bases on the OMAP platform (currently used in palmOne Treo 600, Tungsten E, Motorola MPx200) and supports Symbian, Windows Mobile, Palm OS, Linux and Nokia Series 60 software platforms alongside third-party Java platforms.
Speaking of technical features, TCS3500 bases on OMAP850 application processor and 4-band EDGE modem. OMAP850 enables it to work with multimedia applications and provides an opportunity to implement 2.0Mp digital cameras.
To understand the features possible with the new chipset, look at these OMAP850 characteristics below:
- 0.13µm process
- 1.1-1.5V core and 1.8-2.75V I/O voltage
- 10 µA standby current
- ARM926EJ-S V5 architecture, 200MHz max.
- 16KB I cache, 8KB D cache
- Hardware Java acceleration
- Multimedia instruction set
- Supports Linux, Nucleus, Microsoft Windows MobileTM, Palm OS, Symbian OS
- DMA with 4 physical and 17 logical channels and dedicated 2D GPU
- Programmable GPIO keyboard interface
- WLAN interface (54Mbps)
- Hardware encryption acceleration
- Protected loader
- 48KB protected ROM
- 16KB protected RAM
- Random number generator
- Advanced audio controller
- Memory controller:
- 128MB mobile SDDRAM
- 256MB Flash
- NAND Flash controllers
- 1.6Mbit ISRAM
- SD/MMC/SDIO interfaces
- LCD controller
- Bluetooth data/audio
- USB On-the-Go
- 2 x 3.68MHz UART
- Fast IrDA (FIR)
- 2 x 32-bit timers
- 289-pin 12x12mm MicroStar BGA package
The TCS3500 reference design includes board circuitry and design, GSM/GPRS/EDGE protocols stack, developer kit. TCS3500 will be sampling in Q1 2004, while the volume production is scheduled to Q4 this year.
ASUS Launches R9 200, R7 200 Series, Matrix R9 280X Graphics Cards
Apacer Launches SATA SLC-lite SSD solutions
ADATA Introduces a Stylish External HDD HC630
Samsung Introduces New Wireless Multiroom Speakers
WD Gives Consumers a Cloud of Their Own
Write a comment below. No registration needed!